So, have a look ...... , and post a comment !!
The Advantages and Disadvantages of
Simplifying English Spelling
Simplifying English spelling will help non-native speakers to learn faster and more easily. I remember how difficult it was when I started to learn English in Junior High School, about 20 years ago. I had to write three different things in the same time to understood a word; the English word, the spelling and the meaning of the word. Then, I should memorize how to write correctly, spell correctly, and also understand the meaning. This is not an easy tasks for a little child and even for most adults. Learning English spelling is also difficult since English is not our mother tongue. We are not used it for daily conversation and also do not get exposed to native speakers regularly.
It is much easier to learn and to memorize words if the writing and the spelling are the same. After more than 18 years, I still remember Latin words such us oryza sativa for paddy, or zea mays for corn, because its spelling and writing are the same. I believe that simple English spelling will help a lot of people to learn faster and better.
The disadvantages of simplifying English spelling are cost for socio change, adaptation time and reproducing new English materials. Many people all over the world, especially old people, have been accustomed to the way English words are spelt. It will be difficult for them to change or to use a new spelling of words. It will also take time to introduce and to get agreement, until it is naturally welcomed or adopted by people. To change English spelling will also take an enormous cost to reproduce or replace new English textbooks both in academic system or for general purposes. It is including to introduce those changes to English teachers and to bigger users or audiences.
However, language is a dynamic thing. The way English spelling today is different than it was a few decades or centuries ago. It will keep changing in the near future or in many decades ahead. So, I think more discussion on simplifying English spelling, more English will be simplified by nature.
Jakarta, 24th February 2009
ok mayang... its very good. Learn from mistake is essential...
ReplyDelete